Copyright © 2004-2010 Puppy Jone Inc. All rights reserved.


zuzu our little angel

On Tues night around 11pm as we were getting ready to go to bed we noticed SB was looking a bit more tired than usual. But it was hard for us to really tell if it was because it was bed time or if something was wrong. I took his temp and it was lower by a few points (36.7 vs 37 under the armpit). His gums were also pink and he looked fine otherwise and ate his midnight snack. So we decided to not panic.
At about 3:30AM I woke up to ZuZu panting really hard beside me. She never goes up on the bed but she was there trying to wake me up. I got up and checked on SB and his vitals weren't very good. His temp was still low and his gums were looking really pale. I was really scared.

We started to give him the supplements our Vet gave us, phos ac (every 30 min). At about 5:30 he got up and went over to his bed. Eyes looked shinier, gums pink. He also started snoring so I thought that was a good sign. Yay! And, I was just amazed that our little angel ZuZu helped to save SB. Amazing!

Just before we started getting ready to go to work, we checked on him again. I also was finally brave enough to check his temp via his bum (more accurate this way vs armpit). It wasn't so bad and he surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) didn't mind. Temp was good and gums good color. However, there was a nagging feeling inside me that I still needed to monitor him. I called our Vet and left a message to see if she could come check in on him that day instead of the next day when we had our appointment scheduled.

Throughout the morning, he slept but seemed a bit lethargic and depressed. His gums and temp were still normal so I wasn't sure what was going on. Its so hard to tell or decide when to do something! At around 1pm I noticed his gums were looking really pale. I offered him a treat and it took him a while to eat it...not a good sign. So I started him on the supplements again.

I called our vet but she wasn't answering (I later learned she was in surgery all morning). I called the Emerg Clinic we went to last week and I was getting ready to take him down there to help but after a few conversations they told me the only 2 options I had when I got there was surgery or euthanasia. I WAS ANGRY. I didn't like those options AT ALL (also later found out that they could have helped out with his fluids..what is up with that??! they didn't even offer that as an angry at them. Next time I will demand they do that for us.)

So I started SB on the second set of supplements, Carb Veg...after about an hour, he got up and went to his bed (a good sign!). Me and ZuZu were sooo happy. I also offered him a salmon ball and he ate it right away. His temp was back to normal although his gums were a pale pink.

After a few hours of sleep, he woke up and ate dinner and was OK!!
Throughout that whole time D was at work and trying to get back as soon as he could. He was really stressed and we were all in a panic.

I'm so thankful SB made it through this episode and that our little angel ZuZu was there to alert us. They never cease to amaze me.

Thank you ZuZu!

p.s. I wanted to thank DJ & LJ for being there when I called for advice! Sometimes its hard to think clearly when you're in panic mode. DJ & LJ's dog Buster was SB and ZZ's best friend. He was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer in 2004 and lost his battle in Sept 2005. We know Buster is out there looking over SB too.



Today our good friends are getting married and D & I are the MC’s. We’re nervous about leaving SB but he is in great condition and my Sis kindly offered to babysit. I’ve written down instructions on checking his temperature and gums and how to hold him when taking him out for pee/poo. We know he’s in really good hands so that will reduce some of our anxiety about leaving him.

This reminds me of when we first got SB, he was around 8 or 9 weeks old. D and I had plans to go out so my Sis babysat for us. She took amazing photos of him for us. Here's one of you can see he was grumpy that we left him behind.

Everything went well. Whew! Thanks Sis for babysitting!

sunshine & salmon

SB is doing really well. We spent some time outside again to give him some fresh air He loves our backyard and being out there in the sun.

ZuZu was happy to be out there with us.

She found some time to relax but mostly was as frisky as ever and obsessed with her ball. This is a pic of her waiting for me to throw her ball. "Hurry up mommy!"

Another good thing is that this hasn't effected his appetite! Look at him go...we switched their food to organic salmon and cod meatballs. He LOVES these! The fish will help fight any potential cancer in him.

thank you

We're thankful for all the love and positive thoughts from our friends and family. I was especially touched by an email from my sister:

"Sean, Quinn and I love SB very much. He is our furry nephew/cousin. We think SB IS a miracle dog who gives everyone he meets love and joy.

Love you!

sb: our miracle dog!


On Sep 3rd Starbuck suddenly fell ill and we took him to Emergency. He was in pretty critical condition when we brought him to the Emerg Clinic and thankfully the team there was able to revive him (they do a great job and are also very very nice people there). He was bleeding internally very badly and ended up having a plasma transfusion. Initially, they thought it was rat poisoning b/c of the symptoms he had but we were confused as we couldn’t think of any situation where he would be exposed to that. After a day of testing they found multiple masses (what they believe are tumours) on his liver. If its what the doctors think it is, its very serious. I don’t even like writing this as its very difficult for me. Everyday is a blessing right now and all we are doing is trying to stay positive and believing that he is and will be our miracle dog. Right now Starbuck is doing really well and recovering from the trauma over the last few days. He’s eating and snoring as per usual which is good but we’re limiting his movement. He sleeps a lot which is good b/c he needs the rest. We’re doing ok.


ZuZu I think understands and knows that something is going on as she is always sniffing at Starbuck and licking his head when they are near each other.

Today we were able to spend some time with him outside to give him some fresh air. I think he enjoyed that very much.



We wanted to start a blog about Starbuck and ZuZu for quite some time now and finally got around to it. We thought this would be a good way to keep you up to date on SB’s progress and how we (me - Mummy, D - Daddy... and ZZ) are doing. So here it is!
See Older Posts...

Click on the links below to view blog entries written by Mummy or Daddy.